Share and repost.
edTPA is an onerous and un-tested teacher performance assessment, marketed by Pearson (of PARCC test fame). The ISBE has voted to use it as the sole instrument for determining teacher certification for student teachers after P.A.97-060/105ILCS 5/Section 21B-30(f) was passed by the General Assembly.
Many teacher educators around the state are against the use of edTPA. Here are some reasons why you should be too. Please work to change this rule.
- No research has proved that a online narrative and videotape submitted to a private company in order to evaluate a teacher candidate’s readiness for certification is more reliable than traditional student teacher evaluations done by field instructors and cooperating teachers. edTPA IS NOT BETTER.
- The edTPA costs student teachers $300 to submit. If the teacher candidatefails a section of the assessment, he or she must pay additionally for remediation and new submissions.
- edTPA IS AN ADDED EXPENSE FOR TEACHER CANDIDATES. The artificial demands of the edTPA will actually distract and interfere with real tasks teachers tackle every day in their real classes. It requires a lengthy electronic portfolio including extensive narratives and videotapes. The student teacher must obtain video equipment and parent permissions. edTPA DISTRACTS TEACHER CANDIDATES FROM THE REAL WORK OF STUDENT TEACHING.
- The videos submitted by student teachers contain student images, and although parental permission is required, they are already showing up on You Tube. Pearson also reserves the right to use submitted videos for their own purposes. edTPA JEOPARDIZES STUDENT PRIVACY
- The edTPA is a summative assessment of a formative experience. The state law only requires “an evidence-based assessment of teacher effectiveness.” edTPA might better evaluate teachers for tenure or master teacher status. Only 2 other states use it for licensure. edTPA DOES NOT MEASURE WHAT THE LAW IS INTENDED TO ACCOMPLISH.
- The state statue only calls for an “evidence based assessment.” The ISBE, which wrote the legislation, very quickly created a rule requiring Pearson’s product as that assessment. State Supt. Koch enjoyed several expensive trips during this period. edTPA IS THE RESULT OF A NO-BID CONTRACT BY THE ISBE WITH PEARSON PUBLISHING.
For more information: