It is nearly three years since sixteen bullets were fired into Laquan McDonald’s body, fourteen of them fired after McDonald was on the ground.
Nobody is doing time for the murder even though it was declared a homicide and we know who fired the bullets that killed Laquan McDonald.
The video of the killing was locked up for a year by the Mayor and former States Attorney Anita Alvarez.
This is recent history. Some Chicago aldermen seem to have forgotten this story in their eagerness to praise the mayor, nearly endorsing him for re-election.
Even before he asked for it.
Jason Van Dyke appeared in court yesterday. He was not there for a trial.
It has been eighteen months since Van Dyke was indicted.
Van Dyke’s attorney asked the judge to dismiss the charges. “It was business as usual,” he told the judge.
It think that is true. Just not cause for dismissal of the charges.
A Chicago cop pumping sixteen bullets into a unarmed Black man walking away from him is business as usual in Chicago.
Van Dyke’s attorney compared it to a fireman opening a hole in the roof to get into a burning house.
Sixteen bullets fired at a unarmed Black man posing no threat to the officer was no different than that, said the defense attorney.
In arguing his point Thursday, Herbert blamed the news media for creating “this fury in the public” over the video.
He also implied that the state’s attorney’s office had been swayed by public opinion to criminally charge Van Dyke.
I agree. And thank goodness for that.
The Mayor and the former State’s Attorney never wanted this case to be pursued.
It was the thousands of Black Lives Matter protesters who put Van Dyke in handcuffs.
Yet justice in the McDonald case has hardly been swift.
It was different for a man in the court room yesterday who snapped his fingers in approval after the judge rejected Van Dyke’s request for a dismissal of the charges.
That man was brought up before the judge, found guilty of contempt of court and and ordered jailed on $40,000 bail.