Illinois State Senator Andy Manar thinks there are too many special education students.
Sen. Manar has finally filed the Amendment to Senate Bill 1, AND House Bill 2808 may be voted on in Committee on Tuesday. Could you post at least the beginning parts of the following so people CAN ACT (file Witness Slip on HB 2808 per the following directions) on what we have been telling them for months?
Thanks, Bev Johns
Amendment 1 to Senate Bill1 has now been introduced by State Senator Andy Manar. (Without any evidence whatsoever, Sen. Manar told all the Members of the Rauner Commission that there was “drastic over-identification” for special education in Illinois.)
On pages 239 to 242 the Amendment contains the exact same language as House Bill 2808 TO ELIMINATE DIRECT AND DEDICATED FUNDING FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHERS (to eliminate Special Education Personnel Reimbursement).
If because of what it does to special education, or because it is extreme local control of K-12 education, or because it would provide NO new funding for special education co-ops, you oppose the bill, you can fill out a Witness Slip on-line (see below).
If you are in Springfield, you can attend the hearing:
Appropriations-Elementary & Secondary Education Committee Hearing Mar 28, 2017, 2:00PM Capitol Building Room 114, Springfield, IL
To do a Witness Slip opposed to HB 2808:
1. Click on http://my.ilga.gov/WitnessSlip/Create/104197?committeeHearingId=14549&LegislationId=104197&HCommittees3%2F31%2F2017-page=1&committeeid=0&chamber=H&nodays=7&_=1490376189630
2. Under Section I: Identification, fill out all information. Under Firm/Business or Agency you can type None.
Under Title you can type None.
3. Under Section II: Representation, if you are creating a witness slip on behalf of a group, fill out with the name of your organization. If you are not submitting a witness slip on behalf of a group or organization, leave this blank.
4. Under Section III: Position, click Opponent of HB 2808.
5. Under Section IV: Testimony, check the box stating. Record of Appearance Only.
6. In the box, Type the text (that appears above it)
7. Check the box stating I Agree to the ILGA Terms of Agreement.
8. Click Create (Slip) to submit slip.
Our State Senators and Representatives have to know that we are determined to keep direct and dedicated State funding for special education in Illinois law.
If you have called before, please keep calling.
State Senator Andy Manar 217-782-0228
State Senator Jason Barickman 217-782-6597
State Senator Kimberly Lightford 217-782-8505
(Ask Senator Manar why he stated on Jan. 17 to the Gov. Rauner Commission that there is “drastic over-identification” for special education in Illinois.)
Contact the Sponsors of House Bill 2808.
State Representative Will Davis: 217-782-8197
States Representative Robert Pritchard: 217-782-0425
State Representative Linda Chapa LaVia: 217-558-1002
Please say –
SPECIAL EDUCATION FUNDING SHOULD BE RELATED TO THE NEED FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION, NOT BASED ON THE NUMBER OF GENERAL EDUCATION STUDENTS.
THERE IS NOTHING MORE CRITICAL TO THE EDUCATION OF STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES THAN THE SPECIALLY TRAINED SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER.
Say to State Senators: AMENDMENT 1 TO SENATE BILL 1 NEEDS TO BE FURTHER AMENDED TO MAINTAIN THE CURRENT SPECIAL EDUCATION PERSONNEL REIMBURSEMENT OF $9,000 FOR EACH SPECIAL ED TEACHER (and other specialized personnel).
Say to State Representatives: HOUSE BILL 2808 NEEDS
TO BE AMENDED TO MAINTAIN THE CURRENT SPECIAL EDUCATION PERSONNEL REIMBURSEMENT OF $9,000 FOR EACH SPECIAL ED TEACHER (and other specialized personnel).
ALSO Call your own State Senator and State Representative.
An easy way to get the telephone numbers of your State Senator and State Representative is to send a TEXT message to 520-200-2223 (you will also get those for your U.S. Senators and Representative).
The TEXT message must state ONLY your Zip Code (nothing else) such as 62650-2479 OR 62650.
Almost immediately you will get a text message.